How to Use the Hands-Free Power Tailgate on a Honda SUV or Minivan
If you’ve got both arms full, this handy feature lets you open and close your Honda’s tailgate with ease, and handsfree. Newer Honda models, like the Honda CR-V or Honda Odyssey, are available with a hands-free power tailgate/liftgate, which makes loading and unloading your vehicle simple and safe.
Learn how to use the Honda Hands-Free Power Tailgate with this quick step-by-step instruction guide.
Step-by-Step Guide: Hands-Free Power Tailgate
1. Always remember to have your Honda Smart Entry Remote close at hand, or it won’t work. That means, you should either have it in your hand or in your pocket or purse.
2. Then all you need to do is simply stand about 2 feet behind your Honda and make an upward kicking motion under the center rear of the vehicle.
3. The tailgate will unlock, flash the rear lights, make a beeping sound and then open automatically.
4. Repeat the process to close the hands-free power liftgate.
– The correct foot motion is to kick directly up toward the sensor, and then quickly back down again
– Do not use a side-to-side motion
– Do not actually kick the vehicle, a smooth kick motion under the vehicle will suffice
Using the Hands-Free Power Tailgate if you have a Hitch Installed on Your Honda
Follow the process above, except you will need to kick to the right of the tailgate, as the accessory sensor is moved to the right when a tailgate is installed.
Honda Models the Hands-Free Power Tailgate is Installed
- 2017-2022 CR-V Touring
- 2018-2022 Odyssey EX-L and above
- 2019-2020 Pilot Touring and above, 2021-2022 Special Edition and above
- 2019-2021 Passport Touring and Elite, 2022 Elite
- 2020-2022 CR-V Hybrid Touring
Take a look at our current inventory to find a Honda crossover, SUV or minivan equipped with the hands-free power liftgate today!
Adding the Hands-Free Power Tailgate to your Vehicle
If your vehicle did not come equipped with the hands-free power tailgate, but it does have a power tailgate, you can have it added on as an accessory.
Want to get a hands-free power liftgate installed on your vehicle? You can stop in or schedule an appointment online or over the phone at 608-268-3161.
Check out our current service specials to see what we are offering today.